Friday, December 18, 2009

Tom McCarthy Directing New Film


Ion Cinema is reporting that my boy Tom McCarthy (who directed the super-ill The Station Agent and the lesser-but-still-very-good The Visitor) begins filming his new movie, Win, Win February in New York and New Jersey.

There are no details yet on the plot, but here's hoping its in the "people relating to one another" game than about making grandiose homeland security statements. Its important to use film for political purposes, but I just think he's got so much potential in the realm of small character-based films (a type very few are really good at writing/directing) and he should just focus on refining that. ("I bet this idiot likes Dan In Real Life." Yeah, I do.)

P.S. - Mr. McCarthy co-wrote the story for Up. Which is funny to me just because you know John Lasseter and the rest of those guys at Pixar think they're being really artsy working with the director of The Visitor. I'd love to see them have Lars Von Trier co-write a story, but we all know it would kill the Pixar boys to take a real risk ("Wall-E didn't talk for a while!" The whale from Free Willy had no dialogue, doesn't make his film art.) I'm kidding, Free Willy is obviously art.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Get subscribers